It's become a tradition of sorts for my mom and I to go to World Arts Fest's Ethnic Dance Festival every year. I went to the Spirit segment of the Festival this Saturday. The show was narrated by Marc Bamuthi Joseph who works with youth speaks. He kept the theme of spirit continuous and eased transitions, all through spoken word and movement. It worked for me. I also liked that more dance groups opted for live music from the stage this year.
I was also at the Festival to support CAIS's dance troupe, the only all kids dance group to be selected to perform this year. They performed a Mongolian piece called Girls on the Grassland. I was impressed. I was expecting a kid's dance that would get major cute points from the audience, but they delievered a professional, and not to mention technically tight piece. They have some really strong dancers amoung their ranks. The group definately held their own against the adult performers. Zhoa AiPing laushir (haha, my roomate during the Beijing Peking Opera trip) did an amazing job with the choreography, her teaching experience at the Beijing Dance Academy really showed.
Some other favorites were a solo by Parna Basu and Ballet Folklorica Alma de Mexico's big finish ending with a 14 piece live band.
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment